Since finishing up my Laundry Challenge I´ve been thinking hard about my Autumn/Winter wardrobe. For me Autumn starts on Septembre 1st AKA First Day of School.
Since I´ll likely be starting at a new school ( I´m still hoping for a job at my old school, but I´m being realistic) , I´ll have tons of new prep work to do in September (and afterwards) so it´s not likely I´ll have a lot of time to sew, especially since it´ll be my first time going back to work since having baby 2.
Keeping in mind that:
- Autumn/Winter 2015 = pregnant
- Autumn/Winter 2014 = same weight as now, but I threw all those clothes away when I lost the weight
- Autumn/Winter 2013 = pregnant
- Autumn/Winter 2012 (and before) = 30 lbs lighter
you´ll understand why I need to sew some new clothes.
I´ve been going over what I have, which is mostly long sleeved t-shirts and cardigans, and came up with a Sewing Plan to fill in the gaps. This plan might seem elaborate but they are simple shapes mostly from patterns I´ve sewn before (and loved).
I´m aiming towards more classic pieces, mostly fairly neutral, in nicer fabric qualities.
This time I tried to sketch silhouettes/outfits and match them immediately to fabric I had in my stash (all apart from the silk). This makes the whole thing a lot more visual and easier to see as a whole.
Left to right:
- Outfit 1: White faux silk True Bias Ogden Cami + Olive stretch crepe True Bias Emerson Crop Pant
- Outfit 2: Black silk dupioni circle skirt (self-drafted) + black/white striped Closet Case Files Nettie bodysuit + emerald cardigan (self-drafted)
- Outfit 3: Rayon jersey tunic + matching cotton jersey Megan Nielsen Virginia Leggings
Left to right:
- Dress 1: Navy/white polka dot rayon challis True Bias Southport Dress
- Dress 2: Raspberry stretch crepe True Bias Colfax Dress
- Dress 3: Missoni-esque jersey wrap dress with wide sleeves (pattern to be determined)
Left to right:
- Outfit 1: Coral sweater knit jumper (Megan Nielsen hack) + Blue faux suede Colette Ginger skirt
- Oufit 2: Raspberry rayon jersey tee + gold sparkle denim dungaree dress (Pattern to be determined)
- Outfit 3: Black rayon jersey Cashmerette Appleton Top + Closet Case Files Ginger skinny jeans (mid-rise)
You may have noticed that most of these outfits aren´t BF friendly. I´ve done this deliberately. Keeping in mind that I don´t like BF clothes and these clothes will be mostly to wear to work, I thought it wouldn´t really matter if these were less (or not) accessible. This way, I´ll hopefull still like them when I´m done nursing.
I´m really excited about these outfits and I can´t wait to get started. I´m even going to do it the right way, muslins, FBA´s and all.
What do you think? Are you preparing for Autumn already? What are you sewing?
PS: When I think back on how I started making my sewing plans I realise I´ve come a long way. Scared of a pencil after being traumatised in art school, I´ve realised that doing it by hand makes it so much more relax. I´ve sketched these by hand before but this time I wanted to visually match them to my fabric choices and pulled out the fancy pencils I bought in art school. I really really love how this turned out and even if they are very amateuristic compared to my closest sewing friends, I´m really happy with the imperfections. Skin and hair made it much more real to me.